Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Run your own race...

I've been meaning to write this long long time ago... but never managed to until now...

I overheard this sometime ago on a bus, " you know, xxx came from raffles girls' school(one of the top school in singapore) so of course she gets ahead better than us who went to neighbourhood schools la..." it was something which was in my mind for a while... i remember my idiotic friend also said something similar when i shared with him the success story of our old school boys... at some point, i felt he was demeaning himself as a neighbourhood school graduate... he lamented that he could have done better if he went to a better school... I remember this instance where I just got into the business of helping the alumni manage their school events, I was optimistic it would lead me somewhere.. he frowned upon hearing that and said i was wasting my time... he didnt really want to have anything to do with this neighbourhood school.. anyway, i digress....

so from the various success stories i have heard from school, from a person who wasnt sure if i can make it in the events industry to somebody who is knee deep in it, i believed that hardwork pays off. I asked Shaun one night about this (he comes from the top boys school) and he says, " well, it does help in one way or another" maybe you will have richer friends or friends who has more connections or the school preps you much more for working smart...but no matter what, how much you success in life, it depends on how much you work hard for it... most successful ppl will tell you that they spent hours at work and sacrificed a lot of other things. You hardly will hear ppl say they got lucky and they could get successful with only 2 hrs of work. BS.

So I concluded that hard work pays off but everyone's timing is different and some people just need to give much more hard work than others but they all work hard.

So sometime even closer to the present, I read in one of the magazines/papers that female tend to compare with their peers more than males. Which is quite true in my case. We always compare with some other lady my age and her title in the company with mine... and let's say if she's married with kids, I'll calculate when she got married and when she had her first kid mentally in my brain. Same goes for some other ladies who are older than me. Just to see if I match up or not. I remembered the bit about hard work but I wondered also when is my time to shine gonna come or is it ever coming at all?! FYI, most of my peers are either married with kids, or simply single with a long suffering boyfriend. I'm pretty much the only one who is still a swinging single.

Now, sometime this week, I heard this podcast by Robin Sharma who shares the idea of running your own race. Successful leaders focus on their own goals and ignores what their competitors are doing. They stay focused. So coupled with hard work, you also need to stay focused and block out what others are doing... because, only you can measure yourself on whether you are successful or not or are whatever that you are chasing after is really part of your successful matrix at all. So I guess it really boils down to what you are really after.. be it money, fame or just plain happiness. Only you can judge yourself and not the people surrounding you cos only YOU matter.

No comments: